Thursday, December 3, 2020

Finding "Kill the Queen" by Jennifer Estep

So I guess I cheated a little.

Technically, I found this book last Christmas but it is one that I frequently re-read and listen to on my Audible account. (The narrator is wonderful!) However, I feel compelled to share this book treasure with other readers. 



This will be important. Pay attention.


Things you didn't know could save your life:

1. Being able to make pies. Cranberry Apple specifically.

2. Having a really powerful sense of smell.

3. Being able to complete a complicated dance that ends with a sword against your neck.

4. Being immune to magic. 

I LOVED Kill the Queen by Jennifer Estep. The story follows 28 year old orphaned Everleigh, who is a ward of the Queen and is currently 17th in line for the throne. But when the unthinkable happens, Evie suddenly finds herself a lot closer to a crown than she ever thought she would be. But only if she continues to survive of course. 

Evie's story did start out a little slowly, but I think that most of the best stories do begin this way. We get an understanding of just how miserable her life is at the palace and what her role is as an expendable royal. The massacre scene is really where the story takes off. I will admit that scene was a bit hard to read, especially when I read what happened to Vasilia's sister, but it was the catalyst that the story, and Evie, needed.

"You have to survive, no matter what you have to do, no matter who you have to cheat and hurt and kill, no matter what the cost is to your heart and soul. Do you hear me Everleigh? You have to live."

There are a lot of stories out there about lost royalty trying to take back their kingdom from a wicked relative, but Evie's story really stood out for me. I think this is because Estep always seemed to find a way for Evie to triumph without her being the best fighter, the most powerful mage, or the smartest strategist. Evie kept surviving because she used the tools and skills she already had in her possession to keep her alive. Baking pies, dancing, her sense of smell, her secret immunity to magic. And Estep created a lot of these scenes in a way that made Evie seem real to me, and with a light touch of humor. 

I also loved the slow burn romance between Evie and Lucas. The dry comments and sarcastic quips between the two kept me reading long into the night eagerly searching for the scene when they become something more.



Finally, Evie's character development was amazing. I was entranced with how she went from weak, expendable royal with no real friends or talents to a strong gladiator with friends who would die for her and she for them and become someone powerful enough to take on the evil queen.

" 'A woman is dead. I would hardly call that progress.

'Sure it is,' she replied. 'Especially since you're not the one who's dead.'

I couldn't argue with that."  




So if you are looking for a High Fantasy novel with a slow burn romance, some humor, adventure, and fantastic world building, then stop looking right now and go pickup this book. You won't regret it.

Oh, and the Audible book for Kill the Queen is PHENOMENAL! I frequently re-listen to this audiobook when I am stuck doing chores around the house. FIVE STARS!


<a href="https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/125654196-looking-for">View all my reviews</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I Am NOT a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells

  "I am NOT Serial Killer" has been on our library shelves for a few years now, and at the urging of my younger sister and a fello...