Thursday, September 8, 2022

Finding "Water's Calling"

 Water's Calling came across my Facebook feed a couple of months ago from one of the book groups I follow, and I'll admit it was the cover that drew me in first. 

I love stories that have the ocean or water as a central component: shark stories, ocean survival stories, pirate stories... you name it. 

So when I read the author's post about this book and she claimed to be a big Sarah J Maas fan, and that her work had inspired portions of this story, I knew I had to give it a shot. 

Water's Calling is LeRain's call to adventure. LeRain is a demi-god, a daughter of tempest, who has the ability to breath underwater and control the element. She has grown up in a world that reviles blends, or those of mixed nonhuman heritage. With her blue skin and green hair, LeRain has no hope of blending in with the rest of the humans who inhabit the small harbor where she grew up with her human mother. 

LeRain's safe, if somewhat boring existence, is suddenly shattered when the "Royals", a group of prejudiced, hate-filled humans, start terrorizing and killing non-humans and blends from all over the continent and start driving the world to the brink of another debilitating war. 

Spurred into action by tragedy, LeRain and a small group of nonhuman allies must take on the "Royals" and rid the world of their infection before their ideologies spread to all parts of the world. She has to master her powers and find a way to save her friends, both new and old, from a new and deadly weapon that has been created by the "Royals".

This story is filled with hope, tragedy, love, action and adventure. It definitely had a similar feel to Throne of Glass in terms of world building, but the main character, Rain, was much more unsure of herself throughout most of the story than Celaena was, and she was not instantly amazing during conflicts or fight scenes. 

This was a longer story, which is to be expected in this type of fantasy adventure, so there were definitely some slower parts to the story. I'll admit, there were times I was frustrated with LeRain's hesitancy or lack of action in crucial scenes towards the beginning of the story. However, the last 10 percent of the story made me excited to read the next installment. I can't wait to see how LeRain continues to grow as a character and I am excited to watch her grow into her powers. 

There were a couple of grammatical errors in the story and some formatting issues with the dialog, but nothing that detracts from the story overall.

I am very glad that I took a chance on Water's Calling and I look forward to the next installment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I Am NOT a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells

  "I am NOT Serial Killer" has been on our library shelves for a few years now, and at the urging of my younger sister and a fello...