Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Finding "Scarlet Princess"

 One day soon, Bookbub is going to get me into trouble. Like, financial trouble. 

They send me daily emails with links to discount ebooks and think I am not going to buy one almost everyday? 

Of course I am! 

Sigh. 

My TBR pile is huge! 

But boy am I glad I took the plunge and purchased "Scarlet Princess" by Robin Mahle & Elle Madison.



I am a sucker for a snarky, fun loving princess who knows how to use a sword. I literally was chuckling under my breath at work within the first chapter as I started this book. 

That first line alone: 

"Death was a hefty price to pay for vodka."

 Me: This is going to be awesome. 


The story: 

Princess Rowan and her cousin Davin find themselves in their enemy's dungeon after they get caught smuggling vodka between their two feuding nations using a cave system, and the penalty for smuggling in Socair is death.


In an act of desperation, Rowan reveals her identity to her enemies in the hope it will spare their lives and they will simply be ransomed back home instead of executed. Rowan's captors, Duke Iiro and his younger brother, Lord Theodore, reveal that Rowan's fate will be determined at The Summit, a meeting of all the clan leaders within Sociar. 

Given the bloody history between their two nations, Rowan is not optimistic about the outcome of the Summit. Many of the clans leaders will see this opportunity as a chance to get retribution for past "crimes" her family committed while others will see it as a way to get gold and resources from their enemy. 

The Duke and his brother tell Rowan that her best chances for survival are to act like a proper Sociarian lady. Don't speak unless you are spoken to. No fighting. No back talking. And no inappropriate behavior of any kind. 

Yeah, right.

But for the sake of her cousin, Rowan agrees to try. 

The journey to the summit is fraught with peril and Rowan finds herself inexplicably drawn to Theo, and she tries to fight her growing attraction to him. But his heated glances let her know that the attraction is far from one-sided. 

But its not like its going to matter, right? She's probably going to be put to death at The Summit anyway. 

Even if she does survive, Rowan has made a promise to herself.

She will never marry for love. 


I flew through this first book in this series and later discovered that is a spin off from another series, apparently featuring the generation before Rowan and her siblings. I am pretty invested in this story now, so I am going to finish Rowan's story before reading the original series. 

I can't wait to get more of Davin in the future books. He is hilarious! Especially when he is around Rowan. 

I also love Mila. Her open mindedness about Rowan, her generosity, and her friendship made me love her from the first page she appeared. She is a kindred soul to Rowan and I hope she plays a large part in the next books. 

Theodore was cute with his propriety and flushed face whenever Rowan said something outlandish, but I am not completely sold on him yet. I feel like he could have done more for Rowan. Then again, they are supposed to be enemies who have only know each other for a short time. I guess we will see. He may pull through for me in the next book. 

I am very interested in learning more about Evander and the Bear Clan. Is he really as cruel as he seems? I hope not. 

I guess I will just have to go and find out.

Five stars!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I Am NOT a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells

  "I am NOT Serial Killer" has been on our library shelves for a few years now, and at the urging of my younger sister and a fello...