Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Finding "Things I Should Have Known" by Claire LaZebnik

Strong sibling bonds. Enemies to lovers romance. Finding balance in a dysfunctional family. A strong message about what is means to be "normal".



If these topics appeal to you, then you will LOVE "Things I Should Have Known". I found this gem when it was recommended to me by a student at my school. While I typically gravitate towards fantasy and science fiction, I thoroughly enjoy stories that feature strong family ties, and that is exactly what I got with Chloe, Ivy, Ethan and David. 

Things I Should Have Known centers around Chloe, who is a beautiful, popular high school student with the hottest guy in school as her boyfriend. On the outside, Chloe looks like she has the perfect life, but of course that is not the case. To begin, Chloe's mother just got remarried and Chloe cannot stand her new stepfather or the way her mother acts around him. But more importantly, Chloe is worried about her older sister Ivy, who is on the autism spectrum and attends a special school with other specials needs students. Ivy never does anything without Chloe, and Chloe's main worry is what is going to happen to Ivy after she goes off to college. So Chloe comes up with a brilliant idea.

 She is going to set Ivy up on a date.


After selecting a good candidate, Ethan,  from Ivy's school, Chloe arranges a date for the couple at the local ice cream parlor. Everything is looking up. That is until Chloe realizes that Ethan brought his rude and arrogant older brother David along as well, who Chloe absolutely cannot stand. But her view of David begins to change as she realizes that David is just as devoted to Ethan and she is to Ivy, and that David may be the only one to truly understand what Chloe's life is really like. 

So Chloe has to make some decisions about her life and her future. Will she hold on to this "perfect" life she is trying to project or will she reevaluate her ideas on what it is to be "normal"?

The thing I loved most about this book was the strong relationship between Ivy and Chloe. Chloe truly wanted what was best for her sister, and loved her deeply despite her not being completely "normal".  Yes, there were times where Chloe was frustrated with Ivy or was even embarrassed by her, but I think this made their relationship more realistic because all siblings act that way at some point or another. 

"I'm her younger sister, but I can't remember a time when I didn't feel like I needed to protect and take care of her."

The relationship between David and his brother Ethan just pulled me in even further. Even though David came across as an arrogant jerk in the beginning, it was hard not to fall in love with him as you witnessed his fierce protection of his bother. 



The sparks between David and Chloe practically flew off the page as they fought, bickered, and then slowly formed a tenuous friendship. I couldn't get enough of these two as I am a sucker for an enemies to lovers romance.  

"We should give David a break," I say, addressing Ms. Camp, but making sure everyone can hear me. "It's not his fault he doesn't get it. I mean he doesn't get It. Ever." Lots of laughter at that - the crowd's on my side.

"Oh, gee," David retorts. "I've missed out on all the delights of a public high school relationship. What will I have to cringe about in my old age?"

 "I'm sure you'll find something."
 *****

"You told me your college plans depend on Ivy. Not a lot of kids our age worry about their siblings."

I shrug. "Most people aren't in my situation. You're the only other person I know like me. "

"Yeah, I'm basically the male version of you." He cocks his head at me. "And a look of horror crosses her face. Don't worry, Mitchell. I was joking." 

Although the storyline sounds pretty straightforward, there were several surprising twists that added suspense and complications to the plot that kept my nose in this book until I finally reached the end.

I hope this book finds its way into many people's hands because it is a remarkable story about love, family, loyalty, and acceptance.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Things I Should Have Known. It was a highly enjoyable read and I will recommend it often. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I Am NOT a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells

  "I am NOT Serial Killer" has been on our library shelves for a few years now, and at the urging of my younger sister and a fello...